I think this chapter is so awesome! My students have done similar things to passion projects I've just called them free choice research. They love them. I am excited to implement the passion projects and have students sign up to give mini lessons. Such a great idea!
Please answer the questions below as a response!
- Will you give your students the power to interrupt the class at all times, or will there be some limitations on their power?
- What are your expectations for the rest of the class when one student is attempting to give a direction? What feedback will you provide to those who don't show respect for the leader?
- What feedback will you provide to students who attempt to lead the class, but make mistakes, abuse their power, or monopolize the leadership opportunities?
- What are your plans for the first day of school to ensure your classroom becomes collaborative and student-led?
- If you aren't already, how do you plan to implement passion Time, Genius hour, or another form of student-choice learning into your schedule?
- If your school doesn't already have a maker space for students to build, design and create (how awesome would that be?! Does this really exist?!!) how might you incorporate those tactile activities into your classroom?
- What are you foundational beliefs regarding the various ways you can empower your students? (I hope that after reading this book your foundational beliefs have shifted! always leave room for a mindshift and self-reflection on how to improve our craft)