“Learn Like a PIRATE” is kind of a How-To guide for creating a student-led classroom. Although I teach 5th grade, teachers from kindergarten through college can implement aspects of the book in their classrooms! It’s really about empowering your students to collaborate with each other and lead the classroom so the teacher is freed up to observe, provide meaningful feedback, and help students grow!
By doing this Book study you will gain the tools to help grow the future, leaders that our schools, communities, country and world deserves!
Inside the book, teachers learn strategies for:
- · Crafting active, relevant, and meaningful lessons
- · Creating opportunities for student leadership
- · Providing effective and beneficial feedback
- · Instilling confidence so students can take risks
- · Increasing curiosity and passion for learning
The book is broken down into six main chapters using the PIRATE acronym:
· P: Peer Collaboration builds community and supports teamwork and cooperation.
· I: Improvement-focused learning challenges students to constantly strive to be their best.
R: Responsibility for daily tasks builds ownership in the classroom.
· A: Active learning turns boring lessons into fun and memorable experiences.
· T: Twenty-first century skills engage students now and prepare them for their futures.
· E: Empowerment allows students to become confident risk-takers who make bold decisions.